This dessert is a perfect summery showstopper, but it’s actually surprisingly simple to make. A light, fluffy meringue is rolled up with whipped cream and fresh, tangy In A Pickle Passionfruit Curd (you could also use In A Pickle Lemon Curd, if you wish), and decorated with extra lashings of curd, flaked almonds and a sprinkling of icing sugar. Serve with fresh raspberries, in season.
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Around half a jar of In A Pickle Passionfruit Curd
- 400ml double cream
- A big handful of flaked almonds
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan). Using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites, lemon juice and cornflour together until thick and fluffy. Then, add the caster sugar in small amounts, whisking each time. Once you’ve used all the sugar, continue to whisk until you have a thick, glossy meringue that forms stiff peaks.
- Line a rectangular baking tin with parchment paper (greaseproof paper will stick) and spread the meringue out in one even layer. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes and then remove, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Lay out another sheet of parchment paper, dust with icing sugar and then carefully turn out the meringue onto the paper – it will be delicate so be gentle.
- Whip the cream until thick, and then spread on top of the turned out meringue. Add a layer of In A Pickle Passionfruit Curd, and then carefully roll up into a roulade. Finish off with a drizzling of curd (heat in the microwave for 15 seconds, to get the right consistency for drizzling), flaked almonds and a dusting of icing sugar.